Saturday, October 08, 2005

Cyber Coup

Thanks to Xeni via boingboing.

I've been following the "Internet control" story for a short while now but had no idea that such revolutionary events would occur so quickly. I had pictured in my mind years of political manouvering and debate. However, it looks as though there is a strong possibility that the United States will no longer dictate - from root on down - the majority of Internet servers. In a sudden coup, the reigns of the Internet may be pulled and twisted by several nations.

My intuition tells me this is a good turn of events. I have heard some claim that we should "not fix what isn't broken". However, I'm not sure a lack of worrisome symptoms implies that "breakage" was not an attribute of our current 'Net in the first place. Personally, my sense welcomes this political decentralization of what is inherently a decentralized e2e approach to networking.

It's really too early for me to say what will happen - really, too early for anyone to say. But for all who see the Internet as more than simply a medium for amusement, it will be key to pay close attention. As these events unravel over the coming months/years, the effects could be significant.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home